It's been a long time coming but it's finally installed! Huzzah!
We took advantage of this three day weekend to handle integration of the electronic side with the physical side, transport, and final assembly at my apartment. It all went about as well as could be expected, which is to say, pretty well.
Saturday was the first time we were able to see if everything would fit together as we expected but our foresight paid dividends and there was only minor pain with cable routing. The five power bricks required by my overabundance of caution take up quite a large chunk of the below-drawer space. It, of course, doesn't help that all of the cables must crisscross to get to their destinations leading to a rat's nest of wires no matter how sensibly we try to manage the cables.
Below is an image of the half-assembled core with the drawer not yet installed so we could attach and route the majority of the wiring. On the left is the Arduino, which drives the lights, connected to the Raspberry Pi, which controls the sounds. On the right are the two power strips required along with the speaker system. On the center panel you can see the five power bricks to drive the lights. It doesn't look so bad until you put the drawer in over top of it and the wires want to catch on everything.
With the wiring in place we were able to place clips in appropriate locations to route the wires, then came time to dismantle the whole thing. We took it apart in the major components: Bottom ring stack, central rings that each split apart, and top ring stack. We wanted to keep it in as few pieces as possible but the central core rings had to separate or it's too heavy and awkward to move easily.
The pieces were loaded up and reassembled at my apartment with a resounding cheer when our height measurements turned out to be quite accurate. The top of the core sits with 1/2" of space between it and the roof. This allows us to lift the top stack off its locating pegs to remove it as well as provides an outflow for the warm air inside being heated by my electronics.
With the pieces finally installed and this major milestone reached, we decided to take a photo to commemorate the occasion. :D
Below are some additional photos as well as links to videos of the various colors and speeds I currently have programmed.