Over several weeks on weekends I would go over and help my dad fabricating the necessary pieces for the Warp Core. During this time, my dad was off work recovering from some knee replacement surgery. He was unable to stand but during some of the days he was able to sit in the workshop and work with his hands. Slowly, the core began to take shape. The main rings took form and started to get painted. Using a filler paint we were able to cover up the edges of the stacked sheets of MDF and make the unit look cohesive.
This led us to look at the next phase of the project, the upper and lower light ring stacks. The support beams could be made from MDF just like the core section but the light rings were a bit of a problem. I was very particular about how they looked since it would be no use going through all this effort to have something that didn't look right in the end. We ordered various plastics from several online retailers and hardware stores to see what we could do. We looked at fluorescent light rings, fluorescent light diffuser sheets, stage light colored sheets, and even generic plastic sheets.
Eventually, my dad came across a guide on how to vacuum form plastic in your oven to desired shapes. He built up a rig and carved out a mold of one of the rings. He then was able to try out various plastics and settings until we found one that worked. I give full credit of this process and discovery to my pops as I would likely never have been able to figure out that process on my own.